Things to do
There is no shortage of things to do when you visit Newfoundland!
- St. John’s – our capital city. I love this city – and I have had the privilege of seeing it through the eyes of an innkeeper – my former life! I think you will find that there is plenty to keep you occupied should you want to do day trips in that direction. Click here to visit St. John’s
- Cape Spear Located on the outskirts, the most easterly point on the continent is a not to be missed day trip just outside the city of St. John’s. A new addition to the Cape Spear attractions is the Cape Spear Cafe. Open from 6 am to 6 pm, the Cafe also makes take-away picnic baskets available to hikers and people who just want to take in the superb scenery. Click here to visit Cape Spear website
- Witless Bay Ecological Reserve – birds, birds everywhere…. they make a symphony of the like that is a privilege to wake up to! Click here to visit the Reserve’s website
- Mistaken Point Ecological Reserve UNESCO Heritage Site hosts some of the first found fossils on Earth. The number of tours is limited, so if you want to do visit the actual site, as opposed to viewing a cutaway of the site at the interpretation centre – be sure to book. The trip entails a 6 km return walk. Click here to visit Mistaken Point website
- East Coast Trail 26 Wilderness hiking trails including the breathtaking La Manche Village, which many do from my front door. Click here to visit East Cast Trail website and Click here to read more about LaManche
- Cape St. Mary’s Ecological Reserve Bird Sanctuary Cape St. Mary’s Ecological Reserve is one of the best and most accessible places in the world to see nesting seabirds. No boat trip required for this one. It is a good distance from our location and entails a full day trip. Click here to visit Cape St. Mary’s Website
- Lighthouse Picnic A picnic to be enjoyed while relaxing and enjoying amazing scenery – waves, whales, and seabirds are all part of the vista in gorgeous Ferryland. This is one of our busiest attractions so book before you travel … ie. early….and pray for good weather! Click here to visit Light House Picnic’s website
- Boat Tours There are a good number of boat operators on the Irish Shore. Click to try any one of these: O’Brien’s Boat Tours or Gatherall’s out of Bay Bulls.
- Micro-breweries Take a tour of the many micro-breweries springing up on the Avalon Peninsula…and indeed throughout the island: Read more about micro-breweries.